Thursday, August 4, 2011

fashion camp: this exists

(see #5)

Fashion camp.

If I'm being honest, there's a solid part of me that's bewildered right now. The other part of me is wondering if they're taking interns.

I love summer camp. I always have. My time in Bologna felt a little bit like "Italy camp" and I loved that too. If kids want to pursue their interests over the summer, no one should stop them. There are so many options these days (I, personally, have been to rock music camp, political activism camp, outdoors camp, nerd camp, biking camp, and documentary film camp, to name just a few) that the existence of fashion camp doesn't surprise me at all.

Do you really need your parents to spend over a thousand dollars to indulge an interest in fashion though? The program's only a week long, and while I'm sure the instruction is high quality and all of that, I've learned so much on my own without spending a dime (except, you know, on clothes, which I've been meaning to stop doing, by the way) that I don't really see the point.

I guess it's fun. Camp is always fun. Now I'm getting all nostalgic.
1. Remember before people all had cell phones (or when phones were contraband at camp) and on the last day you'd run around getting people's real names and phone numbers and home addresses in a little notebook? Good times.
2. Before friendship bracelets were a fashion statement, they were a sign of popularity and a way to pass the time. 
3. Flip flops errrday.
4. Jean shorts were also a staple, of course. 
5. I used about four disposable cameras once in just a week of camp a few years back, before they were a hipster thing (and when I didn't have a digital camera of my own). I didn't develop them until a few months later. What a good feeling.
6. Bringing one swimsuit and getting awkward tan lines has to be a rite of passage, right? Maybe I was just awkward. That's also possible.
7. The ambiguous definition of "water shoes" meant I was always bringing my old sneakers and making them look even more disgusting, frolicking in streams and climbing into canoes and such, as one does.

No comments:

Post a Comment

oh my gosh, comments make me so excited. i read all of them and then read them out loud again to all of my friends at parties. this is why i'm so popular in real life.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...