Saturday, August 6, 2011

everyone is judging you

College Fashion: Tips & Tricks for Meeting the Roommate

I generally like CollegeFashion.net. I do. They have nice interviews and cute series where they dress you up like a tv character. It's gimmicky and sweet. But something about this article rubbed me the wrong way, and I'm trying to figure out why.


That's me and my roommate last year, jumping on mattresses in our creepy ass hallway. We were just having a ball. We were never best friends, but we were good buds, and that's all we needed. We had a great time in the room, and did our own things otherwise.

We also broke the rules, according to CollegeFashion.net.

I facebook-stalked the shit out of this girl. I knew at what point in her gap year she got her nose pierced. I knew her soccer team's colors. I mentioned in my first email to her that I knew she liked Passion Pit, and that this meant we would get along just fine.

She was not creeped out (I don't think). She said she'd stalked me too, we talked about The Weepies, and all was well. I did not stop stalking when I thought I might develop dangerous preconceived notions. I did not "clean up my profile." In fact, I always find it a little weird when they tell you to do that. I have nothing to hide!
I mean, if there were pictures of me on facebook smoking a crack pipe while stealing a car, that would be a problem. The fact that I was smoking a crack pipe while stealing a car would be a bigger problem though. I don't worry about what parts of me are on the internet as much as I worry about being the kind of person I'm not ashamed to show.
Yes, that includes "pictures that would embarrass me" and "inappropriate comments." That's me.

My point is twofold.

  1. Freshman, don't be afraid of your roommates! They are not judging you! Or maybe they are! Whatever!
  2. People should be themselves, cliche as that is.
That's what I have to say about that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

oh my gosh, comments make me so excited. i read all of them and then read them out loud again to all of my friends at parties. this is why i'm so popular in real life.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...