Monday, June 6, 2011

where in the world is carmen sandiego

Photobucket

I keep thinking, "one of these days I should probably explain where I live and why," but I keep putting it off because this is a somewhat complicated post to write.
Let me start here. That is my dog. His name is Chili. Behind him are some mountains. That is Switzerland. I live there.
Before you ask, no I don't speak German. I don't speak French either. Or Italian. Or Romansch (which is the fourth Swiss national language). I studied Latin in high school which turned out to be a bit of an impractical thing.

Let's rewind to February, 2009. I live just outside Washington DC, in a house five miles from the hospital where I was born. I'm seventeen, I'm a junior in high school, and I'm generally discontent with life as seventeen year olds tend to be. My parents sit me down and tell me that my dad is up for a job overseas, definitely in Europe, probably in Switzerland.
I, surprisingly, am psyched.
actually, i lived in an insane town where we had parades all the time
Yes, I love Washington. Whenever anyone asks me where I'm from, I tell them I'm from the DC area. Switzerland is an afterthought. But at the time, I wanted to get out. I imagined myself frolicking through Europe, singing on mountains, eating cheese all the time -- and all of those things eventually happened. While it was hard to leave my friends (and I definitely did have moments of what-the-hell-am-I-doing-here-send-me-home-please-now), going to Switzerland for senior year was great for me.

Now, I love Switzerland, but I don't love it enough to go to their one English language university in Lugano. So this fall, I packed my bags and traveled to yet another new home.
057_57
I've just finished my first year of university and I'm completely in love with the experience, the friends I've made, the classes I've taken... basically everything except the weather has completely thrilled me.  
So that's where I live, some of the time. 

To top things off, I'll be studying abroad in Bologna for the next six weeks (and hopefully blogging from there about the marvelous Italians and their style).

Essentially, that's where I live. I know, it's complicated. I don't even know what country I'm in half the time. It is what it is though, and I wouldn't change it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

oh my gosh, comments make me so excited. i read all of them and then read them out loud again to all of my friends at parties. this is why i'm so popular in real life.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...