Monday, June 13, 2011

if you want to be cool, buy this expensive shit

This is ridiculous.
you do not need a designer ping pong set.
Elle has a list of "future classics." If by "future classics" they mean "ridiculous overpriced things that are not even all that attractive," then sure. Reading through the list, I wasn't sure whether to feel repulsed, amused, or just really broke. It's nonsense.

No one needs Elle to tell them that there is a "new must-have engagement ring" with a big colorful rock like Princess Kate's. The fact that something as personal as an engagement ring would be a fashion item in general is ridiculous to me (shouldn't engagement rings be timeless?), and then there's the fact that the example Elle gives is a "sapphire stunner from Harry Winston."
Oh, yeah, I'll just get my boyfriend to run out and buy one of those real quick, he won't mind.
(I don't actually have a boyfriend. Also I'm nowhere near getting engaged. Also rings make me feel antsy so I don't wear them all that often.)

The list also features a $20,000 pair of reversible earrings. Pearl on one side, diamond on the other. How convenient!

This is why I have historically disliked fashion. It's always trying to sell you something you don't need. My communist friend and I have had long conversations about how the industry changes the ideals every few seasons so that we have to buy a new wardrobe, and with that a new "lifestyle," or even a new identity. 

Can we stop that now please?

No comments:

Post a Comment

oh my gosh, comments make me so excited. i read all of them and then read them out loud again to all of my friends at parties. this is why i'm so popular in real life.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...